Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
Aminocaproic acid has been used to treat degenerative myelopathy (disturbances in the spinal cord) primarily in German Shepherds. This medication helps stop the process that damages nerves.
How do I give this medication?
- Give this medication to your pet as directed by your veterinarian. READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- If the medicine is a liquid, measure the dose with reasonable care.
- Try to give this medication at about the same time each day.
- DO NOT give the pet more medicine than directed and do not give more often than directed.
- Try not to miss giving any doses.
What if I miss giving a dose?
Give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. Do not give the pet two doses at once.
How do I store this medicine?
"If the medication is in solution, it should be stored in the refrigerator."
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store this medicine in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Store away from heat and direct sunlight.
- If the medication is in solution, it should be stored in the refrigerator.
- Do not store this medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in damp places. The medicine may break down if exposed to heat or moisture.
What are the potential side effects?
- This medication may cause stomach upset. If these symptoms are troublesome, contact your veterinarian.
- Other side effects may occur. If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian what other medication you are giving to your pet.
- Quite often, your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and sometimes a drug interaction may occur. In this case, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- Estrogen can potentially interact with aminocaproic acid.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.
© Copyright 2009 Lifelearn Inc. Used and/or modified with permission under license.