Primary Care

Health Certificates

There are two types of health certificates available, one which approves pets for travel within the United States, Canada & Mexico, and another which approves them for international travel and requires that the veterinarian have additional USDA certification to issue. When bringing your pet in for a health certificate, he or she will receive an overall examination during which the doctor will be able to certify that your pet is healthy and safe for travel.

Acquiring a health certificate will require you to schedule an appointment with your veterinarian, and please always try to plan as far in advance as possible as some states and countries may require diagnostics and documentation that can take a significant amount of time to obtain.

If traveling by plane, it is important to know and understand the airline’s specific pet travel requirements. Please be prepared to provide this information as well as the destination address information and both departure and return travel dates when scheduling your appointment.

Interstate Health Certificate
Contiguous interstate health certificates need to be performed within 10 days of travel – do keep this in mind for your return trip! A second health certificate may have to be issued by a licensed veterinarian before returning home.

Even if traveling by vehicle, an interstate health certificate is recommended and required by some states when crossing state lines. You can visit to learn more about your destination state.

International Health Certificate
Because of the sensitive nature of international travel and health certificate issuance, we are currently only offering international health certificates to established clients and current patients (has had a wellness examination within 12 months). Please contact us if you are unsure of you or your pet’s status. Not all of our veterinarians possess the additional USDA certification for international health certificate issuance, so appointments may be of limited availability.

Because of the varying requirements from country to country, it is VERY important that any travel arrangements with a pet be reviewed as soon as possible to avoid any delays. All USDA Certificates for international travel must also be sent to the state capital, Austin, before they can be issued to you and can take up to several days to prepare even if no errors are identified. Some countries may require specific tests, proof of parasite treatments, no lapses between rabies vaccinations in the traveling pet’s medical history, and failure to do any of these could potentially result in the quarantining of your pet for a period of time before entrance into the country. Visit for more information regarding international travel with your pet.

For those with a return flight, please keep in mind the re-entry requirements for the United States. Visit for more information regarding entrance into the United States from a foreign country.