Health Concerns

Acute Toxin Ingestion (Poisoning)

Animals can accidentally ingest many potential toxins. Many potential treatments are time-sensitive, so if you’re worried your pet may have ingested a potential toxin, it’s important to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. If possible, bring the bottle, package, or other information with you to your appointment. The Pet Poison Helpline may provide you with more information on the toxin.  

When to visit VCA Urgent Care

  • If your animal has potentially been exposed to a dangerous toxin
  • Treatment for the intoxication includes emesis

When to seek emergency care

We recommend seeking treatment at an emergency hospital if your pet is experiencing any of the following:

  • Severe tremors or seizures
  • Mentally inappropriate
  • Unable to stand/walk
  • Treatment for the intoxication requires fluid therapy


Find a VCA Emergency Hospital