Primary Care

Health Certificates

Vacations are no longer just for two-legged travelers. More then ever families are taking their pets on trips internationally and nationally and the requirements for this kind of travel can be sticky.

While there are two types of health certificates available, one which approves your pet for travel within the continental United States, and another which approves them for international travel, every country has its own rules and requirements for travel and admittance. It is very important that you research the requirements to your destination as soon as possible to ensure you have enough time to comply with each requirement.

The VCA HAH can provide the necessary evaluations needed to complete the appropriate health forms.

Below are links to help you and your four-legged friend find out the appropriate information needed to get you to your destinations as seamlessly as possible.

Click here for the ASPCA's top safety tips for travel! By Air, or By car!

Click on USDA if your pet is traveling outside the U.S. Scroll to the bottom and select the country you will be traveling to by the first letter.

Click on APHIS if you are traveling within the U.S. or it's surrounding islands. You can print the form and carry it with you.

Always check with your travel destination first for their specific certificate requirements.

An appointment with your veterinarian is required when acquiring a health certificate. At that appointment your pet will receive an overall exam during which the doctor will be able to certify that your pet is healthy and safe for travel. The doctor will also verify that the rabies vaccination is current, as this is mandatory.