Primary Care

Health Certificates

If you are traveling with your pet to another state or country, a health certificate may be required. 

There are two types of health certificates available - one which approves your pet for travel within the continental United States, and another which approves them for international travel. Both types of certificates are available here at our VCA clinic.

Acquiring a health certificate will require you to schedule an appointment with your veterinarian. Your pet will receive an overall exam during which the doctor will be able to certify that your pet is healthy and safe for travel. The doctor will also verify that the rabies vaccination is current, as this is mandatory.

Before your health certificate appointment, please visit the APHIS Pet Travel webpage at to determine your destination's travel requirements. We will also ask you to be ready to let us know about any requirements specific to your airline. Please note that accurate estimates of services cannot be given until after we have reviewed your pet's records and travel requirements.