The Vision of REACHES
VCA Valley Animal Medical Center and Emergency Hospital has a one-of-a-kind committee called REACHES. REACHES is a community outreach and education program that is run by our doctors and staff who are committed to making a difference in our community. We believe that by educating our community on pet care needs we can help pets live longer, happier and healthier lives. We will achieve our goal to educate our community by:
- Reaching out to our schools and educating our children on pet care and veterinary medicine in a fun and exciting way.
- Reaching out to our senior centers and educating, and answering questions for our senior community on taking good care of their beloved pets.
- Hosting and participating in special pet events in different locations throughout the Coachella Valley.
- Hosting monthly pet adoption days - educating new pet owners on how to start your new family member off to a long and healthy life.
If you have an exciting idea for REACHES to help us meet the needs for our community and our goals, please ask to speak to a REACHES committee member today!
- REACHES is out and about in the community. We’ve participated in Emerald Desert RV Resort’s Pet Parade acting as judges. What a fun time we had! We had a booth set up with literature and different prizes that aided in educating the community on pet care needs. We also helped judge the winning pets and that proved to be a difficult challenge since we loved them all!
- REACHES presents to local schools. We attended La Quinta High School’s Career Day last year and were able to reach out to those students who may have been thinking about a career in veterinary medicine as well as those who may not have the same idea. We also presented at Mecca Elementary School and loved all of the questions their young minds could conjure up!
- REACHES attended the Strut Your Mutt event in La Quinta, CA in 2014 and had a blast! We set up a booth and handed out pet treats and promotional items, literature, and different educational tools as we engaged with new people and their pets.
- REACHES paired with the Coachella Valley Rescue Mission and reached out to the homeless in our community. We put together sack lunches for pet owners and gave out goody bags that contained pet food, leashes, Frisbees, portable pet water containers and cases of water. We were able to reach several people and pets in need and the experience was nothing short of amazing.
- REACHES also held a no cost vaccination clinic at Martha’s Kitchen in August on National Homeless Pet Awareness Day, where we provided vaccinations to animals whose owner’s were homeless or low income. Our hospital took it a step further and offered certain procedures at no cost as they were deemed necessary by our onsite veterinarian. Pet owners were referred to our hospital and there we provided medical care to several pets that were in need. We also had sack lunches and pet goody bags available on that day.
- REACHES currently supports FIND (Food In Need Distribution) which is a food bank. We have bins set up in our lobby that are filled with donated pet food and then transferred to FIND for them to distribute as they need. We’ve been collecting donations for them on a continual basis for the past 13 months and have collected approximately 1300lbs. of pet food for them to distribute!
We are always looking for new opportunities and welcome any ideas from other organizations. Please contact a REACHES committee member with any questions or suggestions.