The increase in demand for shipping providers due to COVID-19 has caused an additional delay in the delivery of some orders. Standard delivery may take 4-8 business days after an item has been shipped. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Keep the 4th of July bright and breezy with these holiday safety tips
The 4th of July is a wonderful day filled with barbecues, fireworks and a chance to show off your patriotic pride, but with all the excitement and distractions, fun activities can accidentally turn into holiday pet hazards.
Check out our safety tips to learn how to avoid these pitfalls, so you and your pet can have a safe, relaxing 4th of July.
Toxic foods, such as chocolate and grapes, aren’t the only cause of 4th of July food emergencies. Fatty foods spark pancreatitis; non-edible parts of foods (like bones, peach pits, corncobs and watermelon rinds) can cause obstructions, and moldy foods can stimulate serious stomach upset.
So many foods can be potentially problematic that we recommend remembering just one rule: No human food for your pet! Ask anyone spending time with your pet to adhere to the rule as well and make healthy treats available instead so that everyone can still pamper your pet with an alternative.
Although kebab skewers and cutlery are not food, your pet may not know that! So be sure to keep these items out of gulping reach as well.
We love fireworks—our pets, not so much. Pets’ wonderful sense of hearing and smell can register this as quite the scary event. So keep your pet away from anywhere fireworks might be lit. If you know your pet has a fear of fireworks, teach them coping techniques and consider calming supplements to help them feel more comfortable.
Just as importantly, be sure your home and yard are secure and that your pet is wearing their collar with updated tags in case the noise causes them to startle and bolt. Unfortunately that's all too common on the 4th of July. A microchip can give you extra security that you will be reunited with your pet if this were to occur.
Citronella candles and tiki torch oil can also cause stomach problems if swallowed and even lung irritation if fumes are inhaled. Prevent serious burns by keeping pets away from fires, hot coals and sparklers, and lastly, always remember to play lifeguard when your pet is near a swimming pool.
For added peace of mind, access Live Chat through the myVCA app, where on-call veterinarians are available to answer your questions 24/7 if anything comes up.
Unlimited chat is only $19.99 per month and is included in all CareClub® memberships.