Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
Ursodiol is a naturally occurring bile acid that is used for treating liver disease in dogs and cats and for the management of cholesterol-containing gallstones.
How do I give this medication?
- Give this medication to your pet as directed by your veterinarian. READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- If the medicine is a liquid, measure the dose with reasonable care.
- Give the medication with some oil or a fatty meal. .
- Try to give this medication at about the same time each day.
- DO NOT give the pet more medicine than directed and do not give more often than directed.
- Try not to miss giving any doses.
What if I miss giving a dose?
Give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. Do not give the pet two doses at once.
How do I store this medicine?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store this medicine in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Store away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Do not store this medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in other damp places. The medicine may break down if exposed to heat or moisture.
What are some potential side effects?
- This medication is generally well tolerated in dogs and cats.
- Some animals may experience diarrhea while taking this medication.
- Other side effects may occur. If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian what other medication or supplements you are giving to your pet.
- Quite often, your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and sometimes a drug interaction may occur. In this case, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- Do not administer aluminum containing antacids or cholestyramine resin with ursodiol.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.
© Copyright 2009 Lifelearn Inc. Used and/or modified with permission under license.