True or False? Dark chocolate is the most toxic type of chocolate.

dark chocolate toxic to pets

Answer: True

According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Chocolates of all kind contain two chemicals that are toxic to both cats and dogs: caffeine and theobromine (a very similar but more dangerous substance). After a pet eats chocolate, these are both quickly absorbed from the gut and affect the muscles, brain and heart. Side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, changes in heart rate and rhythm, tremors or seizures. As dark chocolate contains 130-450 mg of theobromine per ounce, this means a medium-sized (50lb) dog would only need to accidentally ingest about 1 oz of dark chocolate to show signs of poisoning. 

If your pet has eaten chocolate, don’t panic. If possible, figure out the type and amount of chocolate your pet ate, then contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 right away. 


Learn more chocolate facts every pet owner should know. >>