VCA Briargate Veterinary Clinic offer pet wellness and preventive care for dogs and cats. Pet wellness visits are an important component to your pet’s wellness routine, and they allow us to catch any health problems before they become serious. You should bring your dog or cat in for a checkup at least once a year, and once every 6 months for older pets.
During your pet’s wellness exam, we will conduct a thorough exam of your pet. Regular veterinary exams allow us to establish a baseline of health characteristics specific to your pet, and can assist us with the diagnosis of future pet illness. Pet wellness exams also provide the opportunity to discuss any questions or concerns you may have regarding your pet’s health.
Our wellness exam evaluates the key areas of your pet’s health and includes the following:
- Ears - The ears are checked for infections and also for parasites, as this is a common place for them to nest.
- Eyes - The eyes are checked for cataracts, retina disease, signs of glaucoma, and other abnormalities. These can all results in blindness, so it is important to check for them regularly.
- Mouth - Gum disease, lesions, tooth loss, and throat problems all affect dogs and cats, and they could be signs of larger problems.
- Internal Organs - The abdominal area can be checked by hand for any growths or tumors. A stethoscope is used to ensure the lungs are functioning properly, and to check heart rate.
- Skin and Coat - This is checked to ensure your pet is safe from fleas, ticks or other parasites.
- Blood work - This is performed to assess your pet’s health and test for common diseases.
- Deworming - A process that is important to keep you and your pet healthy, and prevents your pet from acquiring internal parasites.
- Vaccinations - Protect your pet from contracting serious pet diseases, and prevent your pet from becoming ill.