Primary Care
Health Certificates

There are two types of health certificates available, one which approves pets for travel within the continental United States, and another which approves them for international travel.

Acquiring a health certificate will require you to schedule an appointment with your veterinarian. Your pet will receive an overall exam during which the doctor will be able to certify that your pet is healthy and safe for travel. The doctor will also verify that the rabies vaccination is current, as this is mandatory.

The doctors and staff of VCA Park East Animal Hospital have extensive knowledge and experience with international pet travel. Every day we prepare our clients and patients for their trips around the world. The following information will help you in planning for your pet's upcoming travel.

If you will be taking your pet to another country (either permanently or for a short visit) we recommend that you contact the airline you will be traveling with as soon as possible to determine if they have their own specific requirements for health certificates and transport. Some airlines have a restriction on the number of pets allowed in the cabin. To ensure that your pet can travel along with you it is best to make your reservations early. There are even some countries that do not permit pets to travel in the passenger cabin. The airlines, and the staff of VCA Park East, can assist you in determining if that is the case.

When planning to travel abroad, it is also helpful to contact the country's consulate or embassy for information about any requirements that your pet must meet. A list of consulates can be found at Foreign Consular Offices in the United States.(

Most countries require your pet to have an International Health Certificate completed by a USDA accredited veterinarian who certifies your pet's health and vaccination status, and any required test results. Completed and signed international health certificates for the export of animals from the United States must also be endorsed by a Veterinary Medical Officer at a USDA area office in order to be valid.

VCA Park East Animal Hospital will be happy to prepare any paperwork you may need. For your convenience, we will also send it to the USDA Veterinary Services office for endorsement. Please contact us as soon as you know where and when you will be traveling to allow us time to arrange for any necessary vaccinations and /or tests your pet may need, as well as time for the paperwork to return from the USDA Veterinary Services office.