Located in the basement of a house in Aurora, IL, The Dog and Cat Hospital opened its doors in 1912. After almost 23 years, the founder decided to sell his practice during a time when large animals made up the majority of the patient population. From 1935-1960, the practice continued to thrive, and in 1960 one of the doctors purchased the existing building and the house next door in order to accommodate the growing practice. It was then that Aurora’s reputation for cutting edge technology was born. During that time, the hospital was known as the only one in the area to have an x-ray machine. In 1962, the practice became AAHA accredited and Dr. Jack Schaefer joined the practice, assuming full ownership in 1969. The practice was purchased by VCA Hospitals in 2001. In 2004, VCA Aurora Animal Hospital moved to its current location and added 24-hour care and multiple specialists to its general practice.